Thursday, April 14, 2011

Race for the Cure Projects

This weekend, Indianapolis will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure.  I will be participating in the walk, as I have done in the past. The team I am walking with has a lunch after the race with raffles for those who raised certain amounts of money for the team. This year I thought it would be fun to craft something up for a prize. These were my very first projects I did with my sewing machine, so I went with fairly simple projects.

First, I used The Purl Bee's tutorial to make this drawstring bag. I was happy with how it turned out! It took a little longer than the tutorial suggested it would, but I expected that! I had a few mistakes, as in sewing the bag shut - oops! But after my work with the seam ripper, it all worked out. I found this adorable fabric at Hancock Fabric and was super excited to use it.



Then I created a half-apron using Prudent Baby's Fat-Quarter Apron tutorial. This project turned out to be a little more difficult than I had imagined! The problems were caused by the elastic trim I chose to use on the apron. It made me think of the pink boas that breast cancer survivors wear at the parade, so I went with it. I should have stuck with a non-elastic trim, but I had no idea! Luckily, my fellow Mama, Sara, helped me figure it all out and I finally got it finished! I learned a lot about my machine and sewing through the troubles I had with this project, so it ended up being alright.

Lastly, I decorated some plain tea towels I found at Target with some breast cancer awareness fabrics and patterns.  They turned out alright, I like some better than others. My husband says I am too hard on myself and I am just learning and with practice I'll get better. I'm sure he is right, but my perfectionism can get to me at times!

I then grabbed all the goodies, and placed them inside the drawstring bag. I hope the person who wins it enjoys it, as much as I enjoyed making them! I was pretty proud of myself for my sewing work.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic job! Whoever wins this is very lucky and will be proudly showing off all the cool things inside! Very appropriate and very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom Taylor! I am glad you are enjoying our blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Jennifer, super cute!!

    ReplyDelete