Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hand-Me-Downs get Done Up!

Good Evening and Happy Mother's Day to all the Mamas out there!

Cupcake and I are incredibly lucky to have a huge family full of little ones. Along with lots of fun family gatherings, we are also fortunate to receive lots of hand me downs. It is such a wonderful feeling to not have to really purchase any clothes for Cupcake! We are blessed.

As to be expected, along with hand-me-downs, sometimes comes stains. Before my sewing and crafting days, I looked at stains as the enemy. I would try all my stain removers in the house and do my best to remove the dirt. Typically, I ended up having to get rid of the clothes because I just couldn't ever get rid of the stain!

Now, I welcome the challenge of a stain! Now I don't throw anything away, which is one of the reasons I eventually want a house with my own craft room but that is a whole different story! I spent some time redecorating three different stained garments and was really happy with the way they turned out.

Here is the first of the re-dos. I used a tutorial from Peanut to Princess to create this one. This was my first attempt at creating ruffles which was a little difficult for me, but I eventually figured it out.

I think my second re-do was my favorite! Probably because I love this top and I now am in love with these flowers from Craftiness is not Optional. Seriously, I love these flowers - I'm thinking hair clips, dresses, and so much more! Thanks again to Jess at CNO for all her wonderful tutorials. Yes, I am a little obsessed.

This last re-do I just thought up myself, aren't you impressed! I used some ribbon and scrap fabric to make the flowers. I used a wide zig-zag stitch to adhere the 'stems' to the shirt. Then, I used HeatNBond to attach the flowers to the shirt. Lastly, I hand-stitched around the flowers and created the center of the flowers with french knots.

Can't wait to put the old new shirts on my little Cupcake!! 


.

3 comments: