Friday, July 22, 2011

Dress a Girl Around the World

Good Evening!

Jennifer here to share the rest of the dresses Andrea talked about in her previous post. A few weeks ago I was browsing craft blogs during Cupcake's nap and I came across the Dress a Girl Around the World site. The subtitle really pulled me in: "Imagine a world where every little girl owned at least one dress." What a world that would be, right?!? Making dresses for my little one is one of my favorite things to make, so I had to find out more about this cause. After clicking around on the website, I discovered that the organization delivers homemade dresses to girls and women around the world.

All you have to do to help out the organization is make a simple, yet very cute, pillowcase dress and send it to the provided address. Once I read all of the information, I knew this would be a great project for the Crafty Mamas! I sent an email out to the ladies, asked who wanted to participate, and instructed them to check their closest Goodwill for some gently used and cute pillowcases. Almost all the Crafty Mamas were able to participate in this one, which was great because that means more dresses for girls in need!

If you know anything about pillowcase dresses, you know that there are tons of tutorials all over the web explaining how to make one. The Dress a Girl website provides a tutorial. I had recently made a pillowcase dress for Cupcake (more on that in another post) using the Moda Bake Shop Fat Quarter Pillowcase tutorial, and since I was familiar with this method, we based our dresses off of this tutorial. Most of the pillowcase dress tutorials you will find are pretty much the same, some vary slightly, but in the end you will end up with pretty much the same looking cute dress! What is nice about these dresses is that they can grow with your child, turning from a dress to a top you can pair with leggings, and ultimately a tank top!

We each had fun making some cute little dresses and Crafty Mama Sara was nice enough to offer to send the dresses off to the organization. It is so nice to know we can have fun together sewing cute creations and help other people at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment