Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Guest Post:: Meet Heather!

My name is Heather and I am not one of the official “Crafty Mama” bloggers, but I really admire the ladies that are!  I was honored that Jennifer invited me to do a guest blog!  I have always considered myself to be crafty but once I had my first child my craftiness went by the wayside.  For me, sewing started when I was in 5th grade, my mom taught me to sew and I made a lot of money making scrunchies…. Needless to say, that was in the early 90’s.  If scrunchies ever come back, I will be sure to share, but until then, I will be following the Crafty Mama’s Blog and continue to be inspired!

I am a full time mom to my son, EJ (not quite 3 years old), and daughter, Elle (1 ½ years old), so crafting is a nap-time only activity!  Recently, a post by Andrea on the Crafty Mama’s blog sparked my crafty side back up again and I am itching to do more!!!  I decided to make a pillowcase dress for Elle using the Moda Bake Shop Fat Quarter Pillowcase Dress tutorial http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/03/fat-quarter-pillowcase-dress.html that she posted.  I live by the theory that if you like something, buy it in every color….. sewing a pillowcase dress for Elle was no different; I made 3 of them in all different prints. 

For each of the 3 dresses that I created, I made an addition of some sort to make them my own.  On the first dress that I made, I made the hem about 1 ½ inches and added additional ribbon around the bottom to bring out the color.  I also made a matching bow for Elle’s hair based on an April post from Crafty Moms http://midwesternmoms.com/2011/02/how-to-make-a-boutique-style-hair-bow/



For the 2nd dress I made, I supplemented some of the printed fabric on the bottom with a piece of solid brown fabric.  I stole Jennifer’s idea from a previous post with a dress she had made.


For the 3rd and final (for now) dress that I made, I added ribbon around the bottom hem and used the  Poofy Fabric Flower Tutorial http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.com/2009/10/poofy-fabric-flower-tutorial.html  posted on the Crafty Mama’s Blog to make a hair pretty to match. 



I always look forward to a little down time when I can browse the ideas that the  Crafty Mama’s have posted and can be inspired again!  As it goes, Elle is letting me know that my free time is up…. No more crafty ideasuntil tomorrow’s nap time!


No comments:

Post a Comment