Monday, February 27, 2012

Broccoli Potato Soup

Hi All, Beth here, I haven't posted in a while, but I made some delicious soup tonight that I though I would share. We were out of town this weekend and I didn't feel like going to the grocery store today, so I started looking to see what I could come up with using what I already had in the house and decided on soup.

I just kind of made it up as I went along which is pretty common practice for me and I thought it turned out well enough that I would share. Pinkerton and my hubby loved it as well and it was only about 6 WW points plus for a cup for anyone who is interested.



Ingredients:
2 cans (28oz) of chicken broth
1 cup chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli
3/4 cup of milk
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Instructions:
Chop potatoes into bite size pieces, put in a pot with the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Let these cook about 10 minutes or until they start to get tender. While the potatoes are cooking, chop the broccoli into small pieces and make sure you keep all the little scraps that fall off while you are cutting. Put the broccoli in with the potatoes and cook another 10 minutes.

In a small sauce pan make a roux with the butter and flour and then slowly whisk in the milk and cook over low heat until thick whisking often. Mix the thickened milk mixture into the pot with the chicken broth, potatoes and broccoli and bring it all to a simmer. Then add the cheese and stir. Let simmer for another 10 minutes or until thick. Salt and pepper to taste. I served it with corn bread.


Like I said, Pinkerton gobbled it up! Hope you enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!! Thanks for posting, I might have to try this out later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thanks for sharing this Beth!

    ReplyDelete